Cossington Park is committed to the implementation of proactive measures to help protect and sustain the local, national and global environment for future generations by reducing our carbon footprint and contributing positively to our community.
Our staff team aims to conserve natural resources by ensuring the responsible use of energy, water and materials whilst maintaining and exceeding the levels of quality service expected by our guests. A symbol of this commitment is our membership of the Green Tourism Business Scheme. The scheme encourages tourism businesses to adopt sustainable practices and undertakes accreditation.
All members of our team are aware of the potential environmental effects of their activities and the benefits of improved environmental performance.
We are taking measures that are reasonably practicable to:
- Adopt a policy of ‘green procurement’, taking environmental factors into account in all purchasing and supplier contracts using where possible local suppliers, artists and retailers and incorporating organic and fair trade products when available.
- Reduce waste at source and recycle paper, cardboard, plastic, and glass, composting all kitchen waste.
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning products where possible, utilising micro-fibre cloths that minimize the need for cleaning products.
- Reduce water and detergent use by weekly washing of bed linen and towels; guests are invited to let us know on arrival if they require a more or less frequent linen change.
- Adopt the practice of responsible and efficient energy management to reduce consumption in all our operations.
- Encourage the use of public transport and cycling by providing information on local walks, cycle trails, nature reserves and bus and train timetables.
- Conserve rainwater for use in the gardens where we have a protected environment for rare trees and plants and a wildlife pond that contains rare great crested newts.
- Work with and support our local community and disadvantaged groups in the wider community.
- Maintain a non-smoking environment.
We encourage guests to support us in our commitment by:
- Turning off lights/television/equipment and close curtains, depending on the season, when you leave your room.
- Turning down room heating if it is too hot rather than opening your window.
- Being careful what you dispose of in the WCs (personal hygiene bags are provided).
- Using the food waste recycling facilities in the Kitchen and Kitchen Garden.
- Ensuring that taps are fully turned off.
Reporting anything to staff that requires maintenance or might help make further environmental improvements.
The Future Environmental performance throughout will be regularly audited and evaluated as we aim for continuous improvement.
We have sited owl, bird and bat boxes in the grounds. Inside the house we are evaluating many other green measures that may be implemented in the near future.
Anyone requiring further information on what we are doing can contact our ‘Green Lady’ – Lauren for further information. email@example.com
We hope everyone enjoys a wonderful stay in the environment provided by Cossington Park and the surrounding Somerset countryside.