The extensive grounds of Cossington Park are a magical collection of spaces for any mood in every season.
The flint walls and outbuildings, burgundy paintwork of gates leading from space to space and wrought iron decorative arbours provide the enduring framework for the collection of gardens adjacent to the house.
Wander amongst the beautifully espaliered apple, pear and apricot trees, the purity and delicacy of the white garden.
Immerse yourself in the warm smell of ripening figs, the gentle hum of the bees hard at work on the lavender, the enthusiastic performance of the many song birds, or catch the silent swoop of a buzzard through an autumn mist. Be quiet, and you can imagine a glimpse of the white rabbit disappearing around a corner, late for an appointment.
Pause for a rest on the bench underneath the exotic Chinese Zelkova elm tree, imagining its silent witness of 200 years of Cossington life.
Venture further, leaving voices and activity behind you, and let the breeze take you through the ancient woodland, the meadow alive with butterflies and swishing grasses, and the oh-so English orchard.
The gardens of Cossington are for contemplation, relaxation, play and exploration.
Let your children and dogs go feral, or find your inner child and go feral yourself. Place your green-fingered offspring in the safe and informative hands of Claire, the gardener, while you take your inner zen for a solitary walk, or get competitive on the croquet lawn. The alfresco possibilities are endless.
- The Main Lawn for croquet
- The Games Field – grassy area surrounded by shady lime trees for football, rounders or cricket
- The Children’s Play Area with playhouse slide and fort
- Table tennis in the Old Stables
- The walled Badminton Garden
- Bushey Close, the meadow beyond the Orchard, for archery, falconry, horses, hot air balloons
Al fresco dining
- The walled fruit and vegetable garden (see our gardener Claire for produce when available)
- The kitchen garden
- BBQ area in the Main Garden, complete with al fresco dining table and chairs
- The Orchard, Meadow, Wild Gardens and Woodland
- The Ponds, abundantly supplied with water lilies and pond life, including endangered great crested newt
Explore and discover wherever your imagination takes you!